PDA

View Full Version : Late summer MN food plot

MNhunter218
07-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I've browsed through a lot of good information here so I thought I'd join and see if I cant get some more good info.

I've already planted a small patch of clover at the end of a shooting lane for one of my stands. This patch is only about a 30' diameter, like I said, small. I'm trying to keep my patches as natural looking as possible so they are small, irregular in shape and do not get full sunlight in all parts.

The first patch is doing very good now with only a few patches in it, so I want to start another one. This new patch is about 3 times the size and as of yet I don't know if I will hunt right on this patch or not. I was thinking about planting turnips and winter wheat or oats this week along with some clover for next year. My questions are; Can I plant purple top turnips, wheat/oats and clover at the same time right now? And are there any plants that work well in a shaded area in northern MN?

sandbur
07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Welcome. I would not plant any of the grains now. You could try some turnips if you can catch the rain. How about white dtuch clover mixed with some other clovers for a shady area. Good for the partridge, also. (Those are called grouse for you from further south!)

I would wait to plant the clover, too, especially if youa re on lighter soil.

dogdoc
07-06-2008, 05:26 PM
welcome to the forum!

If you are planting a mixture of turnips and cereal grains I'd try to get them in the ground about 45 days prior to your first average freeze date.

MNhunter218
07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and info.

I guesstimated the plot to be about 1200 sq ft.

I am on the north shore area of MN where we have a lot of clay under the topsoil, but in the area I am putting in a new plot there are a few trees that were only about 3/4 decomposed so now that I was able to till it there are a lot of wood chips in the soil to hold moisture. I can spread some cow manure in their if I need but I was thinking of just putting in some triple 10.

Would rape be another good seed to try out there?