PDA

View Full Version : How many acres for Food Plots?

BigHam in Pa
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
This is my first post, I can't believe I stubled onto a place where there are this many people with the same passions that I have!! If I had known about this years ago I could have saved myself from making a ton of mistakes. This forum and QDMA is great, and I am proud to be a new member. I have 30 acres of big woods land in Central Pa. and currently have about 3 acres in food plots. We are surrounded by State Game Lands, so this is the only real alternative food around. My goals are simply to help the wildlife and attract deer to the property. Is there a general rule for how much acreage should be put into food plots? I've tried to scatter them around the property as best I could with only 30 acres to work with. I have a million questions, but I'll try to study some past posts so I don't repeat what has already been asked. Thanks in advance!

sam2145871
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I believe the general rule of thumb is at least 6% of your total acres. If I remember right that came out of the QDMA book. Which if that is correct you already have that, but with you being the only alternative food source it's not bad to have more.

woodsman324
06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Welcome. With all the state forest around you it probably won't matter what you plant, you'll probably get pounded. I would probably put buckwheat in for my spring planting since its cheap. A good plot to plant in august would be brassica's since they won't hit that till it's been hit with a few frosts. Clover would be nice but its hard to say if you could get it established. The question about % is tough because you'll be drawing from all around you. If it was mine I'd have everything tillable on mine into something. If it turns out your not getting pounded you could try the more expensive crops.

BigHam in Pa
06-19-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks, in the spring of 2007 I frost seeded clover into a ww plot of about 3/4 acre. This was my 3rd attempt at clover after a friend opened my eyes to soil tests and ph levels. After liming and fertilizing I now have a solid plot. Really took off this spring and you are right it is getting hammered. The gypsy moths have devastated us the past two years and are doing so again now, which makes the plots all the more important. I also have a 1/4 acre of extreme/chicory mix and just planted 1 1/2 acre of alfa rack this spring. Thanks again.

HabitatMD
06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
You can do some timber work to increase the amount of browse you have.

RJ in LA
06-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Welcome Bigham, I Would Recommend Getting A Copy Of Quality Whitetails From Qdma. I Bought A Copy In March And It Is Full Of Great Info. I Have Been Plotting For About 15 Years And I Could Have Saved A Lot Of Time And Money
If I Had A Copy Years Ago. You Can Also Get Lots Of Help Right Here From Alot Of Friendly Folks.

RJ in LA
06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I Would Also Recommend Giving Your Deer Herd A Variety Of Different Plantings So You Can Find Out What Grows Best In Your Area And What Your Deer Prefer. Even Small Plots Can Be Divided Into Micro-plots Or Use Blends And Monitor When Or If The Deer Are Using Them.

Bob S
06-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I Would Recommend Getting A Copy Of Quality Whitetails From Qdma.I second that idea, ORDER HERE (https://www.qdma.com/store/details.asp?id=219&catid=&catname=).