PDA

View Full Version : C'mere deer

fl hunter
06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
has anyone had any luck with these product for attracting deer or is it another gimmick and not worth the $$$$$$$.

fuldraw
06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
no luck with it in the late part of 07 /08 at a camra site may be wrong time of year?

cadizdeer1
06-04-2008, 10:42 PM
i don't know if it works or not, but i sure am sick of Hank Parker talking about it

Drop-time
06-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I didnt have ANY luck with this stuff late in the summer last year.
I checked a mirror when I got back to the house and written across my forehead were the words "Sucker!":D
A waste of money..........

EatDeer
06-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Hank Parker lies more about c'mere deer than good ol' JR lies about pro-wrestling.:D I'll say one thing about c'mere deer,and that is..it smells like apple juice.

Bodock
06-05-2008, 09:24 AM
You can buy 1/2 gallon of c'mere deer "concentrate" for $30 at Bass Pro or you can buy 1 gallon of apple juice for $2 and 1 pint of salt for $1 and have a mixture that attracts deer equally effectively.

woodsman324
06-05-2008, 10:40 AM
One thing I can say is back when it was legal here I tried deer cain at one of my places and the deer went crazy for it. They dug a hole to china trying to get all of it and then I tried it at my other place 20 miles away and they never knew it was there. They could have cared less. Old Hank seemed like such a trustworthy guy too. I was thinking someone from a different area would have a positive feedback on the c-mere deer but it don't look good.

spikeowen
06-05-2008, 10:44 AM
The people that make it sound sincere too. But, evidently they aren't. I had a ton of bad luck with it about 3 years ago and they will not even return my phone calls. And all I wanted was for them to SHOW me where I might have made a mistake. The only mistake I made was buying the stuff. But it does make a pretty fair weed killer! Does absolutely nothing as an attractant.

dprogers
06-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I contributed the Hank Parker Trust. I think that by and large these are all these attractants are "gemicky" I won't spend another nickel on mineral attractants other than salt or mineral blocks or trophy rock.

pineghost
06-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I had no luck with it this year. I put it on and around a stump where I'd seen deer walk by, no takers. Like most people have said, attractors are gimmicks.

You want a tried and true bait, use corn.

EatDeer
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
bodock; Thats a great idea, it would be alot cheaper than that bull hockey Hank sells. Maybe liquid deer co'cain and apple juice would be even better than the salt. Sounds like a great plan!

Bad Faulkner
06-05-2008, 05:48 PM
C'mere Deer got some really bad reviews on cabelas.com. Corn's a far cheaper attractant and it works.

MUZZY1
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I Used It On Two Different Properties For About Six Mounths,with No Pics Nothing.i Had Three Deer Walk Right Over It And Not Even Take A Look At It. Thanks Hank!!!!!!!!!!!!

SiberianXpress
06-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Cabela's, Pro Bass, Hank Parker, The Corner Outdoor Shop etc. etc. All swear by the stuff and a thousand and one other things with "Special" ingredients, tastes and smells. But the last I checked, none of them was buying it and sitting in a deer stand.

They kind of remind me of the Carpet Bagger Elixir Peddler in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales." As Clint said in the film "Well Mr. Carpet bagger, You say it works wonders on about everything, huh?" Spit "How is it with stains?" :eek:

That sums up my view of C'mere Deer.

Bad Faulkner
06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Cabela's, Pro Bass, Hank Parker, The Corner Outdoor Shop etc. etc. All swear by the stuff and a thousand and one other things with "Special" ingredients, tastes and smells. But the last I checked, none of them was buying it and sitting in a deer stand.

They kind of remind me of the Carpet Bagger Elixir Peddler in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales." As Clint said in the film "Well Mr. Carpet bagger, You say it works wonders on about everything, huh?" Spit "How is it with stains?" :eek:

That sums up my view of C'mere Deer.

Amen, Sibe.

Plant some peas, throw down some corn, and put your camera up THERE. Guaranteed you'll get some summer pics of bucks in velvet.

MO_hoyt
06-05-2008, 07:33 PM
i mixed it with corn and let is sour. great for pig bait.
as for deer nothing.
i seen a doe walk right by it where i sprayed it on weeds and she didnt even bother. its not a food attractant, but works well for a cover scent. the only reason i bought this stuff because a 1/2 gallon was on sale for like $4 at wally world. ill tell ya what though. id buy it again for no more than $4 a 1/2 gallon.

like what said above, *for attracting big bucks. stick with mother nature and what she can grow, acorns, and water holes.*
________
volcano vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)
________
FIX PS3 (http://fixps3.info/)

Bad Faulkner
06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
But MO...pigs would drink my spit bottle drippings if I put a little sugar in it. LOL. J/K. Good luck on the hog hunting.

MO_hoyt
06-05-2008, 07:49 PM
LOL

yeah wild pigs will eat just about anything, even if they have a full belly.
should be called C'mere Hawgs. because its all that it attracts!

be better off mix'n mollasses with corn for deer than the C'mere Hawgs.
:D
________
genetically modified food (http://gmfoods.info/)
________
HOW TO ROAST (http://www.cooking-chef.com/roasting/)

robert lawson
06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Parker and the rest should be ashamed of themselves. :(

I tried that stuff-Have never been more disappointed with any other product then with that crap. I'll never buy another product endorsed by him or any other "celebrity";)

Bad Faulkner
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Mo,

Man, these coastal deer are finicky about their corn, though! Oh my.

I dumped a bottle of molasses on a pile of cobbed corn four years ago and it rotted right there and kept deer away for the rest of the season. LOL. I think I could've "gone potty" on the corn and they'd have liked it better. LOL.

I wish we had hogs but we don't. Bear are a problem, however, and we have no bear season. Yogi, Boo-boo, and the others love it here on the coast!

Drop-time
06-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Ive chalked this up as a learning experience. Clever marketing can hide a scam all too well and this is a fine example. As I here of others having the same experience I did, I got be honest- it really ticks me off about this stuff. I only hope others read these post and learn from our mistakes!

jake
06-05-2008, 08:43 PM
i see that stuff all the time at the stores, i cant believe people buy it.

Bad Faulkner
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Like Dan Infalt said on "Hunting Marsh Bucks," there is no magic pixie dust despite all advertisers' claims. You just can't buy something to make up for time spent scouting or improving habitat.

woodsman324
06-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I don't think all stuff is bad like I said that deer cane made them go crazy on my one place but go 20 miles down the road and nothing, interesting. Years ago I used to put out grandpa's deer suckers and they went crazy over them too. As I think back I put those things out in the summer just to see some activity and it was pretty cool. This was back in the 80's before the food plot craze. If I knew then what I know now I really would have had the neighbors heads spinning. Kind of funny how little things like that tickle us, we're not using it to draw them in to kill them we just want to see some reaction at least thats the way I feel about it.

MO_hoyt
06-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Mo,

Man, these coastal deer are finicky about their corn, though! Oh my.

I dumped a bottle of molasses on a pile of cobbed corn four years ago and it rotted right there and kept deer away for the rest of the season. LOL. I think I could've "gone potty" on the corn and they'd have liked it better. LOL.

I wish we had hogs but we don't. Bear are a problem, however, and we have no bear season. Yogi, Boo-boo, and the others love it here on the coast!

i hate hawgs! after seeing the damage they cause and how fast they can reproduce and the diseases they can carry' just makes me want to kill them all. i try to eradicate them.
MDC hates them too. you dont need a hunting licience, you can use bait and dogs, open year round with no limits. lots of hawgs here very few bears.
________
extreme vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.net/extreme-vaporizer)
________
Nevada marijuana dispensaries (http://nevada.dispensaries.org/)

EatDeer
06-06-2008, 06:23 PM
woodsman; What do you know now you didn't know then,if I may ask? Is grampa's deer suckers something you made or bought?

woodsman324
06-06-2008, 06:43 PM
woodsman; What do you know now you didn't know then,if I may ask? Is grampa's deer suckers something you made or bought?

Back then the food plot thing really was'nt going up here yet and a friend of mine was one of the first to put in whitetail clover and we got hooked. So thats what I wish I'd known earlier.The Grandpa's suckers were bought. I think they were made in michigan. They looked like a block of caramel on a stick you stuck in the ground. I think a candy maker could make something like them but we can't put stuff out anymore so it won't be me. They really liked them though no matter where I tried them.

EatDeer
06-06-2008, 06:44 PM
If I was going to put out minerals,which I don't ,because they are illegal in IL. to use for wild deer. I'd put out deer co'cain time re-lease blocks or liquid,and fruit flavored rack-up powder. I just am wondering if minerals really help doe's produce milk,and bucks grow antlers?

Buckeye Dan
06-06-2008, 06:50 PM
What about that acorn rage stuff? I almost bought some once and talked myself out of it because the acorns were thick that year. I didn't want to hunt off it I just wanted see if they liked it or not. I thought it might be something nice to dress up the corn in the feeders with too.

EatDeer
06-06-2008, 06:54 PM
I bet it's just like c'mere deer,only acorn flavored, instead of apple. I bet deer would like a sucker better than anything they sell as minerals,too bad it would promote CWD if it was in your area.

Bob S
06-07-2008, 02:28 AM
I just am wondering if minerals really help doe's produce milk,and bucks grow antlers?Didn't we just have this discussion in another thread? There is no scientific evidence that deer are able to absorb minerals ingested from a supplemental source.

EatDeer
06-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Why would everyone be saying to put out mineral sites,if ther isnt evidence to show minerals do beneifit deer? I can just as easily say minerals do beneifit deer ,because thier is no evidence proveing it does not?

Bob S
06-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Mineral Supplementation—Necessity or Never Mind? (http://www.qdma.org/articles/details.asp?id=15)

EatDeer
06-07-2008, 04:35 PM
So young deer or deer on mineral deprived land beneifit from mineral supplements. Older deer do not or may according to the studies beacuse "the jury is still out". Then its goes on to say how to make a mineral site. I'm getting a mixed reaction here. I'll also note that those studies are all a decade or older.

Bob S
06-07-2008, 04:56 PM
The reason there are no new studies that show supplemental minerals benefit free ranging deer is, no one has been able to produce any evidence that supplemental minerals benefit free ranging deer. With all of the companies selling mineral supplements, if someone could produce evidence of beneficial supplements, don't you think it would be all over the press?

Added: I use Trophy Rock on my land because it puts deer on the property and in front of the cameras, not because it provides any benefit to the deer.

EatDeer
06-07-2008, 05:16 PM
I get what your saying,but to me it looks like thier isn't much proof that minerals do not beneifit the deer. Maybe if they studied the effects of salt more,that would paint a clearer picture for the minerals? Because in essence salt is just another mineral is it not?

Drop-time
06-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Benefit or not, Ive got many old mineral licks on my property that the deer use ever spring and summer(cant use them any longer in IL with cwd). I can count on them to get pictures on the cameras. I personally believe there has to be a benefit to eating dirt with amount of phosphorus that our part of the country holds. Could be the mineral licks, genetics, or plots..all I can say is mass has been increasing steadily on the racks of bucks of the same age class in my neck of the woods.

Anderson
06-08-2008, 08:22 AM
BobS,

I think the main reason a definitive study on deer mineral nutrition has not been done is cost. Could spend a million dollars pretty quickly to do it right, and to do it with enough numbers of animals and locations to prove something. Not many companies are willing or able to put up that kind of cash, especially when their products are already selling well. It is a lot cheaper to let the salesmen talk and give a product the credit for lots of big buck photos.

No public money source is going to fund a study like that, either.

Research statistics reality: it is a lot cheaper to prove something does not work, than it is to get enough numbers to prove that it does work. Depends on the experimental design. A 2 lb difference in body weight may not be statistically significant in a study with 10 animals in it...but it may be very significant if the data set is 200 animals. That probably sounds crazy at first, but it is true.

I think deer can absorb supplemental minerals. Every other ruminant we study in captivity (controlled situations) utilizes these same ingredients. I can't see any reason why a deer would be different. That is an opinion, but I'm pretty sure I'm right! I don't know what sort of differences we might see in actual animal performance (health, growth, repro, antlers), or if wild deer would eat enough mineral to make a change. Results would vary by the situation/location. I'm not sure we could ever prove that with wild deer. Mineral nutrition research is really difficult even with domestic animals in captivity. Studies with deer have been looking only at antlers and in some cases body size; nothing else.

I'm not arguing with BobS and I mention all this for clarification, not to encourage folks to dump minerals all over the place. You can enjoy your deer and make a difference with or without a bag of mineral.

banc123
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I suspect any value also would vary by region/location. If the habitat is already high quality and ag or food plots are around, its hard to believe the addition would have much if any impact. I've had two out for a month and they stick their nose within inches of it (corn) but they will not use it, not even a lick. I would think in a area like ours they'd really need it and want it. But they don't. I wish they would; camera surveys are REALLY expensive with $8.50 corn.

MO_hoyt
06-08-2008, 02:13 PM
health is the number 1 priority for me. i beleive in the years of putting out my mineral licks that it does help the deer. minerals and food plots during spring and winter. a healthy deer is gonna be a big racked deer.

i put out minerals twice a year for the herd and i dont even own a trail cam.
________
Paul Bracq (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/Paul_Bracq)
________
EASY VAPE 2 (http://vaporizers.net)

EatDeer
06-08-2008, 03:08 PM
I agree a study on minerals could get costly in a hurry. That puts the mineral issue in better perspective for me. Isn't some of the things we put in the ground for food plots the same minerals in the mineral supplements? Studies on the effect of minerals on penned deer would do a better job ,then ranged deer,because habitat conditions could be controlled . Maybe the deer in FL. have enough salt in the area, because of the ocean being near? The only real problem with mineral sites I have is the spread of disease. It would definantly be better for the deer to get minerals out of the plants of a better food source than a mineral supplement site. But most farmers put out mineral and salt blocks for thier herds every week, so where do you draw the line? I think instead of calling minerals for deer a supplement, we should call it a mineral salt attractant, until someone can prove it beneifical to game deer. I think word supplement is mis-leading to the average hunter, who buys the mineral attractant products.