PDA

View Full Version : apple trees and ants

grizzly2c
05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
I was checking my young apple trees this past weekend at camp and i noticed a few of them had alot of ants on the leaves, I guess i will need to spray them this weekend. My question is what should i spray them with. Thanks

smsmith
05-28-2008, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't worry about the ants, they shouldn't damage the trees. I'm guessing the ants are there due to the presence of aphids, the ants eat the aphids and the "honeydew" the aphids leave (waste). I would nail the trees with some carbaryl (Sevin), make sure you hit the undersides of the leaves because that is where many of the aphids will be. Completely saturate both sides of the foliage until the tree is literally dripping.

grizzly2c
05-28-2008, 09:46 AM
thanks very much, I actually have a jug of seven at home i spray my trees at home with. appreciate the help.

dprogers
05-28-2008, 03:46 PM
You may want to check the base of your tree. I had tubing around my crabapple trees and pinebark mulch around the base and it created the perfect habitat for fireants and they created mounds on or around 7 out of 10 trees last year and I ended up losing one tree.

This year I have spraye bothe the foliage. the boles and stems and put out fire ant poison around each tree.

smsmith
05-28-2008, 03:56 PM
You may want to check the base of your tree. I had tubing around my crabapple trees and pinebark mulch around the base and it created the perfect habitat for fireants and they created mounds on or around 7 out of 10 trees last year and I ended up losing one tree.

This year I have spraye bothe the foliage. the boles and stems and put out fire ant poison around each tree.

Good point, I didn't consider fire ants.

grizzly2c
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
The Bases Look Good But I Will Keep An Eye Out For Them

Bnhpr
05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Ants are indirectly bad for apple trees, by reducing growth.

What the ants are doing is farming aphids. That means that the ants offer a protection service for the aphids in return for sap. They keep predacious insects from eating the aphids.

Unfortunately, the sap comes from the tree. The aphids are taxing the tree and will stunt the growth if given a chance.

If the aphids get bad enough so new growth looks wilted and taxed, you should spot spray with fruit tree spray. It will make a difference in growth.

Also, certain mulches around trees discourage/encourage ants, aphids and other pests.

Al.
05-29-2008, 09:03 AM

I didnt know that fire ants were this far north?

grizzly2c
05-29-2008, 10:53 AM
so should i use a general fruit tree spray or the 7 or possibly both. thanks alot for the great info

grizzly2c
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.agway.com/catalog/home_and_garden/lawn_and_plant_care/fruit_tree_spray

Should i buy some of this and use instead of the 7 or use this and the sevin. Thanks alot for the help

Bnhpr
05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
Sevin will most likely kill the insects. The bonide fruit tree spray contains malathion, which will also.

The added benefit of the fruit tree spray is control of fungus, scabs and rots.

A good coating of it per label concentration, either side of bloom, and once every few weeks all summer will really help your trees and fruit.

grizzly2c
05-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Thankyou very much for the info