PDA

View Full Version : Cocoon & Worms - Identification

UFi911
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I have a couple of large crab apple trees on my place, and I found (2) cocoons full of worms of some kind. The only worm I'm familiar with is an Army Tent Caterpillar - but it doesn't seem to match anything I can find online.

Please see the attached pictures. I need help identifying and getting rid of them. The (2) nests I found I cut from the tree and burned the limbs. Anything else I can do? I would guess there are more in the tree that I can't find. As the tree is very big.

UFi911
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Here's a closeup of the little buggers.

Thanks for any help!

-John

jccatchings
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Those look like gypsy moths,they will kill your tree fast.

RwB
05-27-2008, 06:26 PM
They are some type of tent caterpillar but I'm not sure what kind. We have load of them in PA that look just like the ones in you pictures. I believe my dad used an insecticide by the name of Seven to kill them on his apple tree.

RwB
05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Gypsy moth Caterpillar look almost identical to the tent Caterpillar. If you see a tent they are not gypsy moth caterpillers.

Bob S
05-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Looks like you have Tent Caterpillars. There seems to be more than usual around my area this year.

Tent Caterpillars are different than Gypsy Moths. Here is a website showing the difference. LINK HERE (http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7111.html)

woodsman324
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I have them too. They started real early too. They seem to like my cherry tree's in the forest. I have a lot of eastern bluebirds and hoped they would knock em out.

charlescope
05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
They are not gypsy moth. Gypsy moth do not build a nest.

They are Eastern Tent Caterpillar and they like cherry, apples, crab apples and most other fruit trees. If you only have a small amount of trees being infested go to your local co-op store and get a spray to kill them. You can use either Seven Dust or spray to kill them.

cityslicker
05-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Just got back from my property in NW mitten of Michigan. Tent caterpillars are really thick this year. I have been battling them on my fruit trees for 2 weeks. They sure grow fast.
Have them all over on choke cherry trees. Only thing I try to do is control damage on my fruit trees and sometimes that seems to be a losing battle.
During late winter and early spring I try to remove their cocoons which look like dark brown jelly beans on a stick or branch. If you peal the cocoon off of the branch you can see a lot of little eggs. I try and burn them.
Not really necessary to cut branch from the tree if you can spray the tree.

Side Hill Growler
05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Wait till evening when they will return to the tent and then wack em.

WLK
05-27-2008, 10:02 PM
Charlesope is correct, they are Eastern Tent Caterpillars. You should thank your lucky stars that they are not Forest Tent Caterpillars, they do not make a tent but are far worst than the Easterns.

A few years back we had a infestation of Forest tent Caterpillars and they defoiliated over 100,000 acres of timberland.

UFi911
05-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks everyone... I haven't been able to find any additional tents, if I do I'll put the Seven to work and smoke them!

-John

Bnhpr
05-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Wait till evening when they will return to the tent and then wack em.

Yup, you can smash them by hand, or spray with Malathion (fruit tree spray)

Buckeye Dan
05-28-2008, 12:44 PM
They are great bait... Bluegill love em!

aerospacefarmer
05-28-2008, 01:48 PM
They are great bait... Bluegill love em!

Give me your address I will sell you a thousand for a buck!!! Those suckers just love the apple trees!! Love to see them squirm when the Sevin hits them though LOL. I will send you pre Sevined caterpillars dont worry!!

Buckeye Dan
05-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Give me your address I will sell you a thousand for a buck!!! Those suckers just love the apple trees!! Love to see them squirm when the Sevin hits them though LOL. I will send you pre Sevined caterpillars dont worry!!

We already have our share of them and don't want them. I was just tossing a disposal method out there for flathead fisherman looking for bait. The blugies around here will turn their nose up to meal worms and wax worms on occasion. They never turn down a tent worm when in season though. You can shake a nest over a fishing hole and watch them go to work like piranhas.