PDA

View Full Version : questions about new plot

archeryclose
02-29-2008, 07:31 AM
In December I mowed an area very low and disked it with my ATV disc. It had some fescue, some weeds, and a little clover growing in it. I was not able to get back there and spray with roundup. I have some ladino clover seed to be planted there. It is probably a little over an acre in size. This farm is a 2 hour drive for me one way. I have some time this weekend to go up there, so here are my questions. Will roundup work this time of the year? The highs/lows over the next five days are 50/34. Can I spray the same day I seed the clover? Am I wasting my time trying to start a clover plot in the Spring? Thanks for the help.

HabitatMD
02-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Sounds to me like you would be better served by holding off until planting this fall.

I don't know where you are, but I would say using RU this time of year is a waste of money. I could be wrong and you folks from the South can correct me if I am. Yes you can spray the same day you seed, but you should wait a min of 7 days from spraying to tilling. Waste of time all depends on expectations. I'm sure you could get clover to germinate and provide browse this spring/summer/fall, you may just have to redo the plot in a year or two. Don't expect this lush field of clover is all.

Lost Pines
02-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I always Round up wait 10-14 days, then plow and plant. Sometimes I prefer to RU wait 10-14 days then plow and wait a couple weeks and RU again then plow and planet. just my preference

dprogers
02-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I've had much better luck planting clover in the fall. I think its a little early for roundup.