PDA

View Full Version : Sawtooth Oak trees/cold climates

CCOLLIER
02-16-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm interested in trying to grow some Sawtooth oak trees in North Dakota. I've had real good luck with them in the southeast but have not been able to find any info for growing them in northern climates. Have any of you had success in growing them in this type of climate, and if so, do you have any tips or information?

buckdeer1
02-17-2008, 06:23 PM
I got a variance to try in Kansas and they did well and they are now selling them through the state but I know it does't get as cold here

THE, LLC
02-17-2008, 09:19 PM
You have some land in North Dakota? It'd be interesting to see how they would do. I have been planning to take a few to a friend in northwest Nebraska, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

leexrayshady
02-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I tried one seedling in central mn it grew great during the summer but did make the winter. Hard to say with just one seedling if they cant survive or not. I had it in a really open area

THE, LLC
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
It gets mighty cold in the part of the world they originate from.

Flash
02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
It gets mighty cold in the part of the world they originate from.

I saw some in Korea that you couldn't reach your arms around. I can be chilly over there.

300 Win Mag
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I have some growing in the poconos of Pa, elevation around 2000 ft above sea level. They are OK, but the chinese chestnut grow a lot faster. The temperature will be in the single digits tonight.

Lickcreek
02-20-2008, 04:53 AM
My sawtooths have done well here in SE Iowa where temps drop well below zero. Not quite as harsh as ND but a whole lot tougher then the southern states.

Mine are 10-12 years old now....

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e288/dbltree/Sawtoothoak2.jpg

CCOLLIER
02-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Thank you all for your input. I may give it a try and I'll let you know how it goes, but from what I've read, I'm pretty sure the winters will be too severe for the sawtooth to survive. In the mean time, I'm getting ready to make a trip up the first week of May to put in some new food plots. I have very little experience planting for the ND climate, so if anyone has any suggestions on what to plant (or what not to) I would be all ears. Our property is east of Minot in the sandhills.

chasmo54
02-24-2008, 12:16 PM
ccollier,
Morse has sold in the past a Michigan strain sawtooth where the original seed source was from North Korea. They claimed it to be very cold hardy. I don't know if they still grow this as I didn't see it on their website. I'd call them and ask as this was the coldest winter hardy sawtooth I remember seeing for sale by anyone. Sawtooth from any southern seed source will die in you climate and as someone else mentioned I would grow Chinese Chestnut.