PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in the Snow

lefthorn
01-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok, looks like we are gonna be getting some snow in the deep south. Just wondering how this may affect the deer hunting. I have heard several different opinions. Since we don't get snow normally, will they freak out? Will they be moving like crazy? What? Just thought some people on here that normally get snow may provide a little insight.

HabitatMD
01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Get out there and enjoy! Should stimulate some movement, at least it does here.

maya
01-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Lefty, if you are activly out there while it's snowing try to find some good softwood cover and still hunt. After the storm they will be out feeding so hunt the best food. If you want, try tracking if the the snow sticks. We ride around and look for a big track and dog him. Takes a lot of practice to get good and read the tracks though, but you should give it a try, its fun! You'll also gain a lot of knowlege by seeing were they are going.

sandbur
01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
When maya says softwood, I think he means the conifers. I remember one article title for hunting in the snow-"Cattails, conifers, and corn". Hunt right before the storm and immediately as it starts to let up. If you have hills, you may see them bedding in the snow. They may think they are hidden while laying in the brush.

It is also a great time to find a track and follow it backwards-see where he has been and what he was doing. Or follow it forwards and it will often lead to other deer.

MDuffy
01-18-2008, 08:56 PM
To me the deer are like a bunch of 3rd graders every year when the first snow hits. Especially in a climate that doesn't get much snow like ours. They are out playing like it's recess right after the snow quits. You will see the deer acting like you have never seen them act before. Running around, jumping, playing, it really is fun to watch. I guess the "Northerners" probably don't have that since it snows all the time up there?

USFWC
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
To me the deer are like a bunch of 3rd graders every year when the first snow hits. Especially in a climate that doesn't get much snow like ours. They are out playing like it's recess right after the snow quits. You will see the deer acting like you have never seen them act before. Running around, jumping, playing, it really is fun to watch. I guess the "Northerners" probably don't have that since it snows all the time up there?

lol...you're a northerner to probably 50% of us on here. :D

MDuffy
01-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I guess that is pretty funny. :D

USFWC
01-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, looks like we are gonna be getting some snow in the deep south. Just wondering how this may affect the deer hunting. I have heard several different opinions. Since we don't get snow normally, will they freak out? Will they be moving like crazy? What? Just thought some people on here that normally get snow may provide a little insight.

Hunt the food sources that they can get to easily. Any type of food plot that has something that stands above the snow is a good choice. Around here, they seem to flock to the hedgeapple/Osage Orange trees. They'll 'stomp' on the hedgeapples to break them up and eat them.

maya
01-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Ya, Mduffy is from the south right sandbur!!! ;)

pa bowhunter
01-19-2008, 12:21 PM
If it's just a coating up to 2" or so I don't see it really changing their feeding patterns. Well, unless it's heavy and freezes tight. Hunt the places you would hunt for any other stormy weather.

I like how snow makes them so much easier to see and track game.