PDA

View Full Version : All the hard work finally paid off

deerlover
01-06-2008, 12:14 AM
I shot a pretty nice 9 point tonight 3 year old. I thought he was the big one we had on camera, but he had some ground shrinkage when we finally found him tonight. I litterally had so many deer pass me tonight, I lost count (one of the most fun hunts I have been on in about 2 months). I didn't take a camera man tonight as we split up...go figure! I am not happy with myself for shooting what I think is a 3 year old (I will age his jaw very soon), but with such a miserable year of young buck after young buck, it fealt great to put one down for a dirt nap. He will score in the 130s....with only 1 inch brow tines, so he had great mass, width and tine length other than his brows. I am pretty happy, but when he came in with 6 other bucks (of which I have no idea what they even looked like) because I thought the one I was going to get a crack at was the buck we called skipper.....not quite!

This will help with the deer meat shortage we have experienced for the first time in numerous years!

I will post some pics when I get some done tomorrow morning.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df27b3127cceb45f237c237400000026100QcOG7hy3bsd

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df27b3127cceb45f237ba24300000026100QcOG7hy3bsd

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8df27b3127cceb45f2364236c00000026100QcOG7hy3bsd

Measurements if interested:
5 inch bases, 9 inch G2 and G3, 17 inch spread...I will rough score him when I skin him, which will be tomorrow night. I will remove the jaw and post some pics...I will need your guys help in determining age for me (like I said, I am guessing him at 3 but he could just be run down from the rut).

npaden
01-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Congrats! I would be proud of a 130" 3.5 year old!

JPH
01-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I thought he was the big one we had on camera, but he had some ground shrinkage when we finally found him tonight.....I am not happy with myself for shooting what I think is a 3 year old

I think those kind of comments are the biggest downside of QDM for me. It sounds like you had an awsome hunt and you took a deer that you should be proud of. CONGRATULATIONS!

We're all in this for different reasons. I understand that. I will not bat an eye at taking a three year old, but my strategy is my own and not yours. I support your aiming for an older age class and I admire you for it. But once the hunt happens (so long as it is safe and ethical) I wish we would all just let it be what it is. No regrets.

The tendency to view a deer through excited eyes is part of being human and being a hunter. We go out there because we want to be in a world that we do not control. It is a world that is guaged by the movement of the sun and the sifting of the wind. Nature does not give two hoots about antler scores. In that world, we must avoid the tendancy to take ourselves too seriously. We should be in awe of every moment that takes place, even when it does not meet the expectations that someone has written on paper.

I don't know. I'm ranting. Congratulations on what sounds like a nice buck. Enjoy the memory and the meat.

deerlover
01-06-2008, 01:32 PM
JPH, I understand you comments completely. I am not ashamed of him or dissapointed, but I have passed up on a lot of 3 year olds this year hoping to stick to my QDM goals of 4 years old or older and I preach it a lot on our property. That is all I was dissapointed about. I enjoyed the hunt tremendously! I put on a good shot that pierced his heart (wow was I afraid it was too low of a shot) and I did it at only 15 feet in my tree which in January it is hard enough to get drawn on an animal let alone at 15 feet when he was only 20 yards out. I am satisfied....just can't believe I was fooled as bad as I was.

I put the pictures back in the original post for you to see.

Thanks for the comments! I am getting in the shower to head out yet again, but this time as a camera man! My brother saw two huge ones last night and he feels confident they will be on the same trail with the same wind tonight, so we will move in a bit closer!

aerospacefarmer
01-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Nice deer and glad you gave him the dirt nap......nice thick rack!!

wwg55
01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Great Buck:D

THE, LLC
01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Nice buck. I wish when mine suffered ground shrinkage they looked like that!

JPH
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Deerlover. Awsome deer. Again, congratulations.

totouchantler
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
THE, LLC,
I was thinking the same thing!!! Great deer.
Chris

totouchantler
01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
JPH,
I loved these words. Stuck with me.

"The tendency to view a deer through excited eyes is part of being human and being a hunter. We go out there because we want to be in a world that we do not control. It is a world that is guaged by the movement of the sun and the sifting of the wind. Nature does not give two hoots about antler scores. In that world, we must avoid the tendancy to take ourselves too seriously. We should be in awe of every moment that takes place, even when it does not meet the expectations that someone has written on paper."

Chris

novacane
01-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Congrades on a daddy buck, I know i would be proud to get a buck like that at this time of year. Or should i say any time of the year!!

GOOD JOB

foodplotdude
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
DR: Congratulations on a mature animal! Nothing wrong with that buck at all............. fine animal!

fpd

gutpile
01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Great deer
Great pics

HabitatMD
01-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I completely understand what you are saying deerlover. Kind of funny when you spend the early season passing 3.5 year olds and then you go ahead an whack one. I tell ya, brother, I'm about ready to whack one of them 3.5 year olds if given another chance.

Congrats bud!

maya
01-07-2008, 05:40 AM
Great pics and deer DL!

deerlover
01-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I completely understand what you are saying deerlover. Kind of funny when you spend the early season passing 3.5 year olds and then you go ahead an whack one. I tell ya, brother, I'm about ready to whack one of them 3.5 year olds if given another chance.

Congrats bud!

I just had to laugh when I read this post! That was good, but let me talk you down off the ledge now! I will get the jaw out either tonight or tomorrow night and get some pics of it!