PDA

View Full Version : Open Pollinated Corn

CGF Deer Manager
12-19-2007, 09:29 AM
I was thinking of planting a couple acres of open pollinated corn this coming spring. I have a couple of questions concerning this. Any and all help will be appreciated

1. Most of the varieties that I have found are white corn. Will deer eat white corn? I would assume so, but I need some verification.

2. Will it grow in the south?

3. What would be the yield comparison to hybrid varieties.

4. Is it more tolerant or less tolerant to (drought, diseases, pests)

5. Can you uses herbisides just like conventional varieties. (Atrazine, Lasso, BiCep2)

Thanks

HabitatMaker
12-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Why? Im not sure I understand why open pollinated. Sounds like a trip back to the late 30s!!

Yield....well in 1937 the average corn yield in Iowas was 38 bu/ac. This year I saw estimate that ave will be in 190 range. So...yours will be very very low yield.

Will it grow...well the south has never been a perrenial powerhouse in corn production so I would vote on the side of grow yes, do well no

Tolerence to bad stuff....no its not tolerant to most bad things. ( thats one reason yields are poor)

Herbicides...yes you can in most cases.

Back to the first...why are you doing this?

sag@work
12-19-2007, 10:16 AM
As I understand, the other advantage to "open polinated" is the seed is viable the next year. In other words you can save your own seed to plant next year.

CGF Deer Manager
12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
That is the question that I asked my employer when he asked about it. The hybrid varieties that are out now are much easier, cost effective, and have so much better yields. I do believe that was his main agenda was to be able to save and plant seed for the years following. I just have had no experience with the stuff.

MidwestWildlifeManagement
12-20-2007, 01:30 AM
I would agree with the others. For me and I'm sure many others time is a more valuable resource than anything else, thus it is always my goal to maximize yield. If I can get 150 bu/A but the seed cost me more, I figure I am still further ahead than if I were planting multiple acres to get the same result from an open pollinated variety.