PDA

View Full Version : apple tree help

grizzly2c
11-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I ordered some apple and peach trees from cummins nursery. goldrush novaspy, liberty, on 118 and ant rootstck, also some relaince peach trees. They where shipped last tuesday and due to thanksgiving I recieved them last night. I opened the box and they where packed in black bags, most of the soil and other material was in the bottom of the box laying. I carefully opened the bags and put the hose on gentle shower and wet the roots down and rewrapped them and put them in the box, my concern is when i opened the bags the roots felt dry to me. do you think they will be ok. I plan on soaking them in water overnight tonight and dunking them in the ground tomorrow around midday. thanks for the help.

chasmo54
11-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Griz,
Go to a wetland area and cut some willow branches, soak them over night to make a hormone rich tea. Soak the apple tree roots in this brew for about 1 hour only and then plant them. Willow will stimulate the apple tree roots to re-sprout new roots as well as boosting the ones that feel dry to you. Use some of this brew when you plant them to water in the plants and they will do just fine.

Bnhpr
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Don't submerge them in water for more than a few minutes, they will drown. Just keep them moist and they will be fine. wet newspaper wrapped around the roots, cool place.

grizzly2c
11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
thanks for the help guys. i called jim cummins and he said to soak them overnight in water. I am going to plant them tomorrow morning, so know I dont know what to do.. soak dont soak??

smsmith
11-29-2007, 08:19 AM
It's okay to soak deciduous trees' roots for several hours (or overnight). You shouldn't soak evergreen tree roots for more than a short while.