PDA

View Full Version : Timber value of Sawtooth Oak

mossie
01-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know the timber value of Sawtooth oaks and if they have much timber value how long does it take for them to grow to that size?

mossie

HUNTNPA
01-12-2005, 10:22 PM
MOSSIE,
FORGET THE TIMBER VALUE, SAWTOOTHS BRANCH OUT WAY TOO MUCH. WILL GROW TO 50 FT. AT MATURITY BUT SPREAD OUT SHRUB LIKE. GREAT FOOD SOURCE FOR DEER AND TURKEY. QUICK ACORN CROP STARTING AT ABOUT 5 YRS.
HUNTNPA

ddhunt
01-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Agree with HUNTPA. For deer/turkey, took our sawtooths 7 years before acorns. That is without tubes in GA. Planted them when they were 1 foot tall. Highly recommened sawtooth oaks. Deer/turkey food is the deal on this site vs market value. Good luck! DDH

Aix sponsa
01-17-2005, 11:20 AM
I've never planted sawtooth for any other reason than to provide another source of forage. I did plant 5 ST in my yard last winter because I lost so many other hdwds during our 3 year drought. If you want to plant a cash crop of hardwoods, stay with Southern Red Oak or Yellow Poplar. Even though Sweetgum is not good for muh of anything else, it does make for a good tie log in a relative short period of time. IF the bottom line is making money on trees, stay with the pines. Not sure where you are located, but longleaf is my pine of choice if you have the time to work them. If not then loblolly is the one to stick in the ground and forget about them for a few years.

Pagodfolia
01-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Sawtooths have very little timber value. Cherrybark oaks, on the other hand, are selling for $475-$550 per thousand b.f. I planted about 150 acres in cherrybarks last year......now if I can somehow figure out a way to live another 80-100 years I'll have a nice chunk of change.smileys/smiley4.gif smileys/smiley4.gif

mossie
01-21-2005, 11:15 PM
I really wasn't planting them because of the timber value but was curious whether they were worth anything timber wise? I decided to not plant them at all because they are not a native species. I am just going to work with what I have and maybe plant some white oak even though I will never live long enough to see them with acorns on them.
In the areas that I have no oaks (mostly maples) I am just going to thin it out enough so that it makes thick bedding cover and plant a few white oaks and pear trees.
Thanks for the response.

mossie

bishs
01-22-2005, 09:50 AM
I have planted white and red oaks. The red oaks grow much faster, the white oaks are going to take very very long to get big. Deer prefer white acorns, but they also loke red acorns. The red oaks produce bumper crops every other year or so. The white oaks only have bumper crops every 3 to 5. With that information, red oaks make more sense. I will post some pictures.

I stuck a red flag 4 feet tall next to the trees for a reference.

This is a 10 year old white oak that was planted as a 1 to 2 foot seedling.

http://geocities.yahoo.com/filemanager/white.oak.jpg

bishs
01-22-2005, 09:55 AM
10 year old red oak

http://geocities.yahoo.com/filemanager/red.oak.jpg

bishs
01-22-2005, 09:58 AM
The images are not working. The red oak is 16 feet tall, the white oak is 6 feet tall after 10 years.