PDA

View Full Version : pond developement

pike
01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Hey does any of you all had much experience at putting ponds in to help keep deer on the property. I am in Illinois and water is pretty plentiful, so I wondering if there shapes to design the pond or plant to put along the edge to make it more desireable to the deer. Even would like to know if there books that descuss the subject.

Thanks for all the great info before and after

ddhunt
01-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Water is usually not a problem. For fish, you bet, put in a pond. Good luck DDHUNT

dogdoc
01-06-2005, 05:58 PM
pike---i had a pond put in--just a small one--stocked with some perch and catfish for the kids (that's what I told my wife anyway)--but I had it built next to a thick wooded area--the deer immediately started using it--got a nice little clover plot and a stand by it now. So sure--if you put a small watering hole next to thick cover I do believe the deer will use it. I have another pond on my other piece of property that is in the middle of the property with very little cover around it. I see tracks all around it but I have never seen a deer at the pond which makes me think they only use the pond at night.

todd

jfwalker
01-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Building a dam has a couple of benefits.The first is the water, but also by putting dams across problem slopes you can heal or prevent down hill erosion.Your local county NRCS office can help with location and plans.I don't think you can have too much water.

pike
01-15-2005, 06:45 PM
thanks guys I do appreciate all of your help

Shon Snyder

cheesehead
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
We put in a dam that created a pond of 2-3 acres. We like it because it attracts ducks, frogs and other water oriented critters. We have 2 creeks running through the property so really did not need it to provide drinking for deer.

My opinion is that ponds help wildlife of all sorts and are always a good thing.

mossie
01-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Check out this web page for ponds. www.pondboss.com

You have to click on the red box in the bottom left of the home page for the forum "Ask the Boss" Great page.

mossie

jfwalker
01-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice link, thanks.

HillbillyHunter
01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
MDC (Missouri Conservation Department) puts out a nice handbook on pond development that covers about all the basic information you would need to know. It is either free or can be had for a couple bucks.

ferg
02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
No question - a pond will attract all kinds of critters - mine is near a thick cedar 'safe area' and has real think ***** willow and willow thickets around the pond - deer have mowed down a couple of paths to it and visit every day.

Remember, if your building from scratch - leave some heavy cover around and don't clear to the waters edge, better to just have a 'landing' so to speak and cut the pond out of a thicker area of cover - Helps with keeping the deer secure and prevents hazmat run off from the property.

ferg....

deerhunter
03-01-2005, 02:19 AM
We have put in a few small ponds less than 1/4 acre in size and the deer love them. Tracks and sighting 3/4 of the year. The ponds that we had put in, were to keep our roads dry. But the plus was that the deer love them.We have a couple of creeks near-by and it seems the deer prefer the ponds for some reason. I feel that a pond is money well spent, for all the reasons the others have already listed above. Brian