PDA

View Full Version : Best way to plant clovers and oats

Orange Hammock
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
OK, I have the plots at 6-6.5 pH. They are disced and ready. What is the best way to plant durano, chicory and oats. I have a 3 point disc and a roller. Can I put them in together or should I plant them separately and HOW? Thanks from a challenged Florida farmer.

farm hunter
09-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Plant them separately is what I would do.

Put down any fertilizer/lime before planting. Then broadcast the oats first - and ROLL (or disk - then roll) the oats in.

Then after your seedbed is firm - broadcast the chicory/clover(s). then roll it again, and again if need be. You want the chicory/clovers "pressed" into the soil - its better if the oats are lightly covered.

I use a Hand Held Spreader on plots up to 2-3 acres.

FH

Orange Hammock
09-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Some blends have oats, chicory and clovers mixed together. How do you handle this without sacrificing one or the other. What is the best compromise, rolling all into freshly disced ground?

Muddy Fork
09-04-2007, 09:10 AM
If this blend has instructions on the bag fallow them. You can plant oats the same way as you can plant clover/chicory and most will survive, but not vice versa.

Bowtech
09-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Oats and Clover/chicory are best planted separately. Oats should be planted 1-1.5" deep, clovers no more than 1/4" and chicory is best at less than that. Assuming all your soil ammendments are done you can broadcast your oats and disc them in then firm your seedbed, go over with your roller, then broadcast your chicory and clover and go back and roll the whole thing again.
If it comes in a mix, some do for whatever reason, then roll it first and broadcast your mix then reroll the whole thing. As someone said you can get some germination from oats broadcast without working in but you will get next to no germination of your perennials when you disc them in.

Orange Hammock
09-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks, I'll let you know how they do.

THE, LLC
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Some blends have oats, chicory and clovers mixed together. How do you handle this without sacrificing one or the other. What is the best compromise, rolling all into freshly disced ground?

You can't.

THE