PDA

View Full Version : Aspca?

leosusu
07-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I really admire the work they do placing pets from shelters in new homes and was touched by their recent commercial, which I'm sure most of you have seen. Was thinking of sending them a donation, but don't want to support an organization that is opposed to legal, ethical hunting. Does anybody know their stance?

Bob S
07-30-2007, 05:19 PM
LINK (http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pp_wild_hunting)

Wild Animals

6.3 Hunting

Because there is no guarantee that wildlife taken in sport hunting will be killed outright or spared the distress of pursuit and possible wounding and escape, the ASPCA is opposed to hunting animals for sport, even if the animals killed in this way are subsequently consumed. The ASPCA does recognize that wildlife management may be necessary in situations where animal and human interests collide, but urges that management strategies be nonlethal wherever possible and never include avoidable suffering or distress.

dprogers
07-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I wonder sometimes if folks really understand how brutal nature is in reality. I was easing up to a food plot yesterday and a covey of quail exploded but much to my surprise as the covey got up a bobcat that had been stalking the quail got up and meandered into the
woods about 15 yds. away.

There is nothing pretty about a coyote or pack of coyotes taking out an injured or old deer. You can envision a thousand different scenarios like this so a relatively clean kill with a rifle or bow or boomarang for that matter seems relatively tame.

That is where many of these organizations just totally lose my support!

leosusu
07-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Bob,
Not very practical, huh? I'd hate to see what would happen if nobody hunted deer in my area.