PDA

View Full Version : 4' or 5' Mower for Ford 8N?

Cabin Fever
07-16-2007, 07:26 AM
I plan on purchasing either a 4' or 5' brush hog in the very near future, but I'm not sure what size would be optimal for my Ford 8N (w/ 3pt hitch)? I'll not only use it for maintaining food plots, but also for mowing weeds around camp and of course clearing of other brushy areas to make room for more food plots. The tractor isn't all that big, so would a 5' be OK or would that be a little too big considering I'll also be tearing into brushy areas and saplings? I just want to make sure that the tractor has adequate power for the mower taking down brushy areas and saplings.

Thanks.

TreeFarmer
07-16-2007, 08:10 AM
I plan on purchasing either a 4' or 5' brush hog in the very near future, but I'm not sure what size would be optimal for my Ford 8N (w/ 3pt hitch)? I'll not only use it for maintaining food plots, but also for mowing weeds around camp and of course clearing of other brushy areas to make room for more food plots. The tractor isn't all that big, so would a 5' be OK or would that be a little too big considering I'll also be tearing into brushy areas and saplings? I just want to make sure that the tractor has adequate power for the mower taking down brushy areas and saplings.

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the 8N, how many hp is it?? I used to run a 5ft brushbull behind a 30hp JD with great success. I'd definately recommend a Woods All I've ever done to mine is put blades on it. And replaced a couple bolts here and there. Rock solid machine. I now use the same 5' BB60 behind my 48hp tractor and it cuts great. I'd like to get a bigger one but I can't seem to convince myself to buy one. I don't really need 2 bushhogs and I'd probably loose my shirt if I tryed to sell it. I'll run it till it dyes and then look for a bigger one. One note, does your 8N have a live pto? If it does I'd recommend using a, I can't remember the proper name for it but it goes in between your pto shaft and your tractor, protects your tractors pto system from being able to spin backwards if you hit something really hard. I'll see if I can find a link to one online. Good luck and happy mowing. FYI, I've used and abused my BB60.

ibron
07-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Your 8n is should not have a problem with a 5ft mower, But I would advise buying an overrunning pto clutch for it, The 8n does not have live power and when you go to stop while mowing the can push you foward even with the clutch pedal down, More of a safety issue than anything , The over running clutchs are pretty inexpensive an go between the pto shaft and the tractor.

Ron

TreeFarmer
07-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Your 8n is should not have a problem with a 5ft mower, But I would advise buying an overrunning pto clutch for it, The 8n does not have live power and when you go to stop while mowing the can push you foward even with the clutch pedal down, More of a safety issue than anything , The over running clutchs are pretty inexpensive an go between the pto shaft and the tractor.

Ron

Yea thats the thing I was talking about. Thanks Ron...:)

Cabin Fever
07-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the advise! I called a local dealer and they have the PTO clutches ($45) also. I guess a 5' it will be then! The brush hog that they sell is a Tarter Gate / American Farmland. Has anyone had experience with these? They are selling for $695 new for a 5'.

ELMTREE
07-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I too have a Ford 8N and along with the clutch you might have to buy an attacment that makes the PTO longer. With my 5' bush hog squealer it didn't reach up to the PTO.

ADH1950
07-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I too have a Ford 8N and along with the clutch you might have to buy an attacment that makes the PTO longer. With my 5' bush hog squealer it didn't reach up to the PTO.

I had the opposite problem. After installing the over-running clutch on a Ford 601 (very similiar to 8N) I had to reduce PTO shaft length about 5 inches. In the hitch raised position it was OK but I could not lower brush hog to mowing position. The over-running clutch is not only safer in that it prevents the rotating energy of the brush hog from pushing the tractor it also stops a lot of unnecessary shock beating up the the drive train. The 8N is a durable old tractor and about 30 horsepower. In first gear you will have very good power with a 5 foot brush hog.

soldier
07-16-2007, 12:06 PM
The 8N is a durable old tractor and about 30 horsepower. In first gear you will have very good power with a 5 foot brush hog.

They had to be durable to still be running today. What are they, 60 plus years old now? My neighbor has one and runs a 5 ft brush hog with overrunning clutch. Does great. He also helps me out with his discs and back blade every once in a while.

Great neighbor to have, especially since I don't have my own tractor. Maybe one day he''' let me buy that thing from him!

-soldier

ELMTREE
07-16-2007, 12:09 PM
To long? does your chopper have an adjustable driveline pipe? Mine extends around a foot and it still fell short.

Hunter180
07-16-2007, 07:20 PM
we got an 8n and use a 5' brush hog and 5'6" disc and has no problem with it. another thing check out used ones,prolly find one alot cheaper than 700 bucks

SChunter
07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
The ford 8n tractor delivers about 25 pto horsepower. This is what you have to use to pick a bush hog. You can't just decide to buy a 4',5' or 6' based on size. You need to find if you would like a light duty, medium duty, or heavy duty bush hog. Then you match the rated pto of the bush hog to your tractor. I have a kubuto 30 horsepower tractor that has 25 pto horsepower. I use a Bush Hog brand SQ 600 squealer with a slip clutch. It works really well and handles samplings with no problem. The cost of it 2 years ago was $960.00 The two choices you have is a shear pin or a slip clutch. I highly recommend a slip clutch. The slip clutch allows slippage if you hit a stump, dirt etc. A shear pin style shears the pin off before breaking something. If you go with the shear pin style make sure you keep shear pins with you while operating the bush hog to replace in the field.

rongrzywacz
07-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I would also recommend the use of limiter chains when connecting the mower to the tractor. They are a set of adjustable chains that connect from the toplink to the mower. The front of the mower is then held up by the chains and not your hydraulics.

Here is a link for a great source for 8N info.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/ntracz.pl?m=fordn